Friday, March 16, 2012

We can sail... sail away...

1963 in Danville, California -- that is the year and site of the first of many embarkations to circumnavigate the worlds of our imaginations.  Russ, my brother, Ann, my sister and I made up the crew of our haphazardly rigged sailing vessels.  Who was our skipper?  Who can remember that far back?  But, being the oldest I must have thought I was!


1963 was the year we first moved into a home that had a built-in pool.  We lived in the pool from the moment the thermometer read into the 70's and on into the fall.  It must have been a frustration to my mother that her patio furniture was continually being seized by pirates for the construction of intricate sailing vessels.  She was especially exascerbated because most of the time it was my father who masterminded these ship plans!  He had the most creative imagination!

So that summer we casted off on one of the many adventurous voyages to "lands I've never been".  We lived in swimsuits, ate on the boat and sometimes slept on board all night.  We dived for treasure wrecks, swam with the dolphins and even had a few close encounters with pirates and sharks.  There was never any doubt our minds that my brother and sister and I led the most exciting lives when all the other kids must have been bored out of their minds!

No comments:

Post a Comment