Tuesday, March 6, 2012

DO WHAT IS RIGHT -- WRITE!

Thoughts are created in the act of writing.  It is a myth that you must have something to say in order to write.  Reality:  You often need to write in order to have anything to say.  Thought comes with writing, and writing may never come if it is postponed until we are satisfied that we have something to say… The assertion of write first, see what you have to say later applies to all manifestations of written language, to letters…as well as diaries and journals.  ~Frank Smith~

My problem this week is that I have a lifetime of things to write about and I cannot decide what to write about.  I guess that I regret not being a better journal keeper.  It always seemed that if I had time and inclination I wasn't having a full, fun and busy life.   Most of the time that I was involved in creating memories worthy of writing them I was too exhausted or did not have enough time or energy to get them down on paper.  

I love watching my children, especially my daughters and daughters-in-law, be better than I was at their age.  Jenny writes in her journal all of the time.  She has made it a part of her life.  I have to find out how she does it.   

Technology has been a boon to my journal writing.  Writing on the computer is way easier and faster.  The best I did at keeping a journal was when every Sunday I would write to my missionary sons about my week.  The most comprehensive records I kept were my calendars -- at least my posterity will know how I spent all of my time!  Now I keep my calendar online and write little journal snippets in the notes sections of the day.  After each month I print out the whole monthly calendar and put it in my notebook.   Sometimes I write about my ideas and feelings as I read my scriptures. 

I am still struggling with consistency in journal writing.  But I am still struggling and wrestling with it.  My advice to any of you young mothers is "get back on the horse", try it another way, don't give up, never surrender.  Find your way.  It is of utmost importance.

"I don’t want to live in a hand-me-down world of others’ experiences.  I want to write about me, my discoveries, my fears, my feelings, about me."  ~Helen Keller~

"Write…your goings and your comings, your deeper thoughts, your achievements and your failures, your associations and your triumphs, your impressions and your testimonies."  ~President Spencer W. Kimball~


No comments:

Post a Comment